Glenelg Country School is seeking Substitute Teachers to work on campus in our Lower School for the 2020/2021 school year. The Substitute Teacher instructs students during the absence of a regular teacher and is expected to maintain a professional attitude toward their work. Substitute Teachers are assigned on an as needed basis due to teacher absences or position vacancies. Substitutes are temporary employees and are not eligible for benefits. Substitute Teacher assignments may be daily or extended.
Essential Job Functions
- Follows the lesson plan(s) left by the teacher and ensure students complete all assigned tasks
- Maintains a safe environment
- Uses materials provided by the teacher or GCS
- Avoids engaging in or encouraging discussions of inappropriate or non-school related topics
- Becomes familiar with emergency procedures
- Notifies Head of the Lower School of any unusual incidents which have occurred during the school day
- Leaves information for the teacher concerning the day’s activities
- Other duties as assigned
Due to the current COVID situation, all students and faculty are grouped to reduce the exposure to other students and faculty members. The following protocols must be adhered to by the substitute and enforced with the students:
- Social Distancing of at least six feet (classrooms are set for this)
- Masking at all times
- Spraying or using disinfecting wipes within classroom spaces
Required Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and staff
- Ability to continue the educational program in the absence of the regular teacher
- Ability to manage student behavior in a positive manner
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a minimum of 60 college credits.
- Bachelors degree preferred.
Glenelg Country School is a coeducational independent school located in Howard County, Maryland and has approximately 750 students age 2 through grade 12. GCS is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary and benefits. For immediate consideration, interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.