Diversity and Inclusion
The mission of Glenelg Country School outlines the principles that bind us together as a community. However, it does much more than acknowledge them—it is a call to action that challenges us to embrace the diversity of “background, culture, and thought” and presents us with a unique opportunity to accept the responsibilities that come with that call. Our commitment to these values both galvanizes and unifies our community as we strive to ensure a voice for all and to strengthen the “Dragon Ethos” of respect, integrity, and inclusion.
A few highlights of diversity and inclusion activities in 2020–2021.
- The Upper School successfully launched affinity group spaces, allowing students a virtual space to support each other through these challenging times.
- The Common Ground Student Diversity Council led their first collective Affinity Group Unity caucus to collectively discuss ways to help our community ensure we can be more inclusive.
- Four Upper School students represented GCS at the virtual Baltimore Student Diversity Leadership Conference: Sofia V. ’21, Hailey C. ’21, Daniyel C. ’22, and Jasmine H. ’23.
- The Middle School Diversity Club launched a Community Speakers series and welcomed Gabriela Kahrl, senior attorney at the Capital Area Immigrants Rights Coalition, and Emma Smith ’19 from Active Minds, a mental health advocacy group, to engage with students in topics around diversity.
- The Lower School aligned the Characters Counts traits with the Pillars of Diversity and engaged in the first lesson around having respect for others and the importance of unpacking stereotypes.
Glenelg Country School C.A.R.E.S. (Commits, Affirms, Respects, Embraces, and Supports)
We commit to providing a safe and welcoming environment that is stimulating, engaging, and seeks to ensure inclusivity in all aspects of our school life.
We affirm our mission by encouraging and embracing the diversity of background, culture and thought, ensuring that our students are prepared to become responsible and contributing members of our global society.
We respect that the world is consistently transforming and acknowledge that our vision of diversity and inclusion will grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our society.
We embrace our responsibility as a community that is diverse with students, families, and educators working to build empathy, respect, and understanding in our daily interactions academically, socially, and beyond.
We support all members of our community through our concerted emphasis on sustaining equality in all aspects of our school life including our curriculum, admissions, and hiring practices.